Sunday, November 16, 2008

Just Enough.

Just when I think I don't know enough, don't understand the workings of the mind and body, I'm shown that I do know "just enough."

A mother brought her 16 year old son in with a lacerated finger. She was very mad at her son.
She said he was fighting with his brother.

Each time I came into the room to set up for sutures, to check on the Dr's needs and progress, and then to clean and dress the repaired wound, I could see that mom was calming down. As I cleaned and wrapped his finger, we talked about what had happened.

His brother has ADHD and is difficult to get along with. I said to my patient, "So you have to be the strong one a lot don't you." He said, "I never looked at it that way before."

His mom said, "I'm sorry I got angry son. I have a hard time dealing with your brother. How can I expect you to do it any better."

I really felt like I had opened a door for these two to walk through together.

I knew just enough.

-------------

Tonya and I just got back from Cabo San Lucas. A week in the sun always helps me keep my perspective when I go back to work. There is a big world out there. Mine is such a small part of it. And standing on a beach watching the waves come in, the sound, the smells, the ocean breeze, these things stay with me for a long, long time.

No comments: