Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Stepping Up

I have always been interested in forensics. Of course, my job consists of gathering evidence every day, evidence of injury or illness, but evidence for criminal investigation is different.

I went to my first meeting yesterday for SANE (Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner) and came out so excited. Now that is how one should feel when going to a meeting on your day off. I was hooked.

Then they started talking about pediatric exams and showed some horible pictures and I wondered if I could do this. This meeting came a day after I took care of a 4 month old who was found to have fractured legs, a skull fracture and was sexually assaulted. I was pretty shook up. I can't avoid seeing this part of ugly life so I might as well be a part of putting some sick ass in jail over it.

Some one must do it and there aren't very many out there doing it. So..... training starts in April.

I'm stepping up.

No comments: