Monday, February 9, 2009

Team Work

I was permitted to change my work schedule when Marsha got sick. I was given a charge position in the ER twelve hour shifts on Friday, Saturday, and Sundays. This allowed me to spend Monday through Thursday with Marsha. Her dad came in on Thursday nights and stayed through Friday. David was home on the weekends.

On Chemo days, David's parents took Jackson for a couple of days so I could concentrate my energy on Marsha during those tough days after Chemo.

Tonya came often to play with Jackson. Now Tonya is his, he thinks. Whenever they are together she belongs to him. She sure helped keep the focus off his mom and keep his little life normal and fun.

Jackson is better now but for awhile after Marsha was done with treatments and I would come over he would get cranky and didn't want to look at me. I guess he thought I was going to take his mommy away, which I sometimes did.

We had a great routine going. David's job was to keep working and providing that great insurance. We wanted him to save his vacation days or time off in case he needed to help us.

He sometimes felt like he should be with his wife and that was understandable. Other than a stomach problem, also understandable, David was wonderful and strong.

I recently read in a book a phrase that will forever be in my heart....

"Physical causes are too wrapped up in their emotional results to be disentangled."

David's stomach problems are gone now I think, now that Marsha is well.

It all seems like a bad dream sometimes. But the fear and rage and pain and disrupted life and a loss of direction seem to be my left overs.

But I have not lost a daughter to cancer. I have gained a strong friendship with a kick ass woman who is an inspiration to all who know her.

"Fuck Cancer!"

No comments: