Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Experience counts.

I'll take compliments where ever I can get them.

I went into a patient's room to begin care and her husband was sitting at the bedside.

He looked at me as I introduced myself and said, "I like old nurses best. They really know what they are doing."

Also with that "experience" comes some very dark moments.

Moments when I feel like I can't do it another day. I feel too much. Feelings, emotions, coming at me, almost as if thrown at me.

Patients becoming too real to me

A quadriplegic who could look at me, study my every move, but she could not move or talk.
I felt fear.... To be like that, alone, unable to move or cry out.

I feel too much. Make it stop! I fear they may all be me. All the sick, the mangled, the dead.

Only moments. But those will always remind me to treat each one as I would want to be treated, for they are all me.

No comments: