Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Hand Prints on the Walls

I am on the other end of nursing right now....A patient.
I had minor surgery on my feet. What is a nurse without good feet right?

The experience was a good one. Except for the pain of course.

There was also a very nice surprise in the OR. A nurse who has been retired and who comes back to work in the OR once in a while was on duty that day. Dee and I worked together when I was a brand new nurse. She taught me how to start IV's.

I barely remember the spinal anesthesia going in. Dee was holding me upright, my head was on her shoulder and we were talking about our grandchildren. It was so good to see her and I felt so safe and well cared for.

This past week has brought back some old memories of all the times we moved as a young family. I can remember cleaning the houses we left behind. The dirty hand prints along the walls where my kids touched them.

Each time we moved the hand prints were higher up of course.

Now I touch the walls as I try to keep my balance walking in these post op shoes. I think my hands are cleaner though. No hand prints to clean off.

I have gained a new respect for walker users. My elbows and wrists are hurting.

No comments: