Sunday, April 5, 2009

A SET UP FOR FAILURE

You would think that after 38 years of washing my hands in a health care setting I would be pretty good at it. Second nature.

I have a pattern that has been endorsed by nursing schools forever. I wash my hands every time I cross a threshold.

However, they had to find a way to document and observe that we are washing our hands so they created a new way... a way that costs lots of money in new product and a way to deliver that product.

Foam in, Foam out. Since my hands are usually full of things going into a room, and full of things going out of a room, this is not conducive to getting me to wash my hands their way. Therefore, when the spies are watching, they say I am not washing my hands. (not true).

I had the humiliating opportunity to get instructed on how to wash my hands the other day. By a sweet young girl who should have been teaching at my grandson's school. There were two of us in the class. Both of us veterans. We could hardly contain our irritation. Let me go back. I definitely did not contain my irritation.

Here we are, mixing up your medications around a dirty sink next to a garbage can in our med room and they want to teach me how to wash my hands.

My bullshit cup runneth over.

The next day I saw that the hand washing inservice had been cancelled. I'll probably be called on the carpet for harassing the poor hygiene lady. Or maybe she caught a clue and went after real issues.
I can only hope.

No comments: