Saturday, April 11, 2009

Ode to a co worker.

We met when I was 28 and she was 18. We had decided to start nursing school and we hooked up to do some sharing of rides and soon discovered that we would be sharing so much more.

We studied together almost every night. Let me clarify that. She and my husband drank a lot of beer and laughed a lot about the various anatomy courses while I studied. We both got great grades. I just had to work harder for mine.

Janice made nursing school a great adventure from the beginning to the end. We got a 10 minute break every hour in class and we lived for that 10 minutes. There was on instructor who would try to go over that but Janice fixed that. She hid an alarm clock one day under the teacher's desk. When it went off, the teacher screeched and looked right at Janice frowning. We were all smiling at her though so nothing bad happened to Janice.

They learned not to mess with our ten minute breaks after that.

Things haven't changed too much through the years. Janice is still demanding her breaks and getting them mostly. We have both lost our fathers and are taking care of our mothers and still taking care of our children. I traded my husband in on a wife, which I recommend highly if you have the tendency, and I have the joy of having 5 grandchildren.

We are great nurses, great friends, and still up for any funny business that we can get away with and still get laughs and have fun.

Sometimes I'm a Little up tight because I have a charge position and the director expects more from me than in the old days.

It is hard to find the balance between having fun, being part of my friends and co workers behind the scenes shenanigans, and upholding the trust my director has placed in me.

So I will remember the mustang we drove to clinicals in, the nights she spent on my couch sleeping over after all night "studying", my little ones sitting on her lap when they were so young and cute, waiting for the results after taking the state boards and the partying afterward.

I am happy and so glad we have stayed so close all these years. I will be 57 years old soon but when I think of us I still feel 28.

We are what we remember we are. And we were great!

2 comments:

Judy said...

Your last sentence says it all. That is the way I feel when I get together with the "girls" I went to school with. We get together for lunch once a month and we ALL are still 18 and gorgeous and feeling great--in our heads, even though arthritis and cancer are causing other feelings in our bodies. Hurray for these kinds of friendships!

lnf0826 said...

Ohhhhhhh, thanks for including me in your blog and letting me play with your husband, and your wife!!!! You are still a great GIRL and always will be. you are a great 1. Mother 2. NURSE 3. Friend and noone need try to dispute that. Love ya always.
Janice Kay