Thursday, October 30, 2008

Cat's Whiskers

Sometimes I wish my older patients had their life stories as part of their medical records. When the mind goes, we have no way of telling who that person was or what they did.

"Cat's whiskers." I heard her say in a high pitched voice.
"Cat's whiskers." She said in a deep toned voice.
"I'm a crazy lady." She said without eye contact or change in facial expression.

As I cared for her, she repeated these phrases over and over.

A daughter in law came in to see her. "How sad it is to see her like this."

Then she told me about this woman.

She was a pilot in WW II. She helped invent and test a zoom lens used to take pictures from the air.

No matter what we do in this life there must be someone who will remember for us. May we all do something worth remembering.

No comments: