Monday, October 13, 2008

Life lessons from Grammy

I picked up my granddaughters, picked up my mother and went to Marsha's house. Jenni and the boys were there. The house was a wreck. Jenni was cleaning out Marsha's pantry. It is cute the way Marsha hangs on to every gift bag she gets. I wonder who gives her so many gifts. Doesn't anyone wrap a present anymore?. We just ripped off the damn paper and threw it away right? The bags are all so cute that they scream to be saved.
All five grandchildren together is always a great thing for me. I couldn't seem to get a picture of them all together though. Jackson was worn out and bringing two more kids into his home to play with his toys was an overload. The boys had a fight. The girls looked on and I saw them draw a little closer to each other. I looked at my mother's face as Jenni dragged the boys out of the room. And I had to talk to the boys.
I told them that their behavior made me cry. It made me sad. And I hope they will remember that. Probably only to think it was weird of me to tell them that. They are still my boys and I love them so much.

I took Emma and Grayce to see the dinasour tracks. We talked on the way. I asked them how they felt when the boys were fighting. They used words like "weird", "sad", "different". I told them how I felt. And we talked about how the way we behave can affect the other people around us.
The girls were about as impressed with the tracks of the big animals as the boys were in August. "Cool" "Grammy, can we play in the water?"
It's a time thing. A million years is meaningless information to them. And, "I thought there would be more". from Emma. The miracle of seeing one print of an extinct creature let alone six or seven all in one spot was lost on her.
The girls wanted to take their shoes off. We were hiking quite a ways. I said sure. Emma said, "What will we do with them?" I said, "Carry them". Then I hear Grayce yelling that she was stuck trying to get over a wet spot a rock away. She was carrying both pairs of shoes. I said, "Emma. Why is Grayce carrying your shoes?" She said, "I asked her to." So I said, "Go get your shoes from Grayce Please." After she did, I said "Now Grayce can you jump to the next rock ?" She happily jumped saying "My shoes are easier to carry when I want to jump over a rock."

I just started laughing and said "Grammy will teach you a lot about life if you let me. You see girls, If everyone carries their own load, everything is easier to do." It sounded great to me. Will they remember this crazy Grammy?

No comments: